Adverts

Adverts

#1 2008-04-19 23:20:46

Smartys
PunBB-Hosting Owner
Website

Advertisement Change

Hey everyone,

I'm writing this topic to let everyone know about a change this is going to be made to the advertising on the site in the next few days. It's a change which some of you may not like: I'm going to be removing the ability to hide some of the ads for members.

First, let me explain the reasoning behind this decision.
Recently, PunBB-Hosting has been growing quite a bit, faster than it has in many of the past months. That is a credit to every forum administrator here: without you, there would be no forums and there would be no site.
At the same time, however, a certain trend that I never predicted has become more and more evident. That trend is the increasing number of forums (especially larger forums) that show little or none of their content to guests while at the same time turning off their ads for members.
The number of forums choosing to go this route has many implications. The most important here is related to the advertisements on the site, which are what provide the money that allows this site to exist at all. As more and more forums turn off ads for members and hide their content from guests, the revenue derived from advertising decreases. Once that income drops below a certain point, I end up having to support the site out of my own pocket, which I can't do indefinitely.
When you couple increasing growth with decreasing ad revenue, you can see that there's an issue that needs to be addressed. I feel that taking this action is the best way the site can continue to meet the needs of its users.

Now, I'm going to lay out the changes that will be made.
There are currently 4 ad units that I use: a link unit under the navigator bar, a banner ad in the header, a banner ad in the footer, and a banner ad after the first post. The ads that will always be enabled for members are the link unit and the banner in the footer. Disabling ads will still remove the other two. I've deliberately tried to pick the ads that are the least obtrusive, since I understand the effect that advertising can have on prospective users.
In the future, I hope to use PayPal to offer administrators a way to remove ads from their site completely for a period of time.

I will be making this change on Sunday night or Monday morning, depending upon when I have time. If anyone has any questions or concerns, they can respond to this topic or send me an email directly through this link.

I want to again thank everyone for their understanding.

2008-04-19 23:20:46

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2008-04-21 00:08:06

Smartys
PunBB-Hosting Owner
Website

Re: Advertisement Change

I was going to implement the changes, but then I noticed that not all ads were showing up for members in forums that opted not to hide the ads for members. I've enabled those ads for now and I'll monitor the situation. I'll make a decision whether to go ahead or not with the changes on Tuesday night.

#3 2008-04-22 23:53:29

Smartys
PunBB-Hosting Owner
Website

I'm going to keep these changes until this Sunday night, at which point I will make a final decision. There were just too few days to really be conclusive.

#4 2008-04-28 02:52:50

Smartys
PunBB-Hosting Owner
Website

And I'll be making these changes and trying them out for a week (until next Sunday).

#5 2008-06-14 15:33:31

vix

thats so hard to enabled the ads.... ohh...my god

#6 2008-06-14 20:21:15

Smartys
PunBB-Hosting Owner
Website

Huh?

#7 2008-08-02 15:12:47

Brayden

okay thats odd anyway you shouldn't have to dig out your pocket i support your decision.

#8 2008-08-05 12:02:00

Smartys
PunBB-Hosting Owner
Website

Well, I might end up reverting the changes and playing around with some other things :)

#9 2008-12-16 06:25:38

Smartys
PunBB-Hosting Owner
Website

I realize that I never posted about what ended up happening with advertising ;)
I ended up removing the banner in the footer entirely, since it wasn't converting well. I'm also not forcing any ads at all for logged in users. So, in the end, the amount of advertising on the site has decreased. :P

#10 2008-12-16 20:14:51

Cyclone103

You dont know how much I appreciate that lol!

You are still probably getting a lot from all the guests on my site, we have 8-10 daily!

I have visitors without accounts from literally half the world!

Adverts

Board footer