PunBB-Hosting Support Forum

The official support forum for all things related to PunBB-Hosting

You are not logged in.

#1 2011-04-01 01:41:36

PunBB-Hosting Owner

Important Announcement from PunBB-Hosting

I just sent this message out to all forum administrators via email:

Subject: Important Announcement from PunBB-Hosting

NOTE: You are receiving this email because you are an administrator on one or more message boards hosted by PunBB-Hosting.

It is my unfortunate duty to inform you that PunBB-Hosting recently suffered a security breach. Due to a configuration issue, an attacker was able to execute code on our servers. We have fixed the issue, rebuilt the PunBB-Hosting environment, and purged all of the attacker's code from the servers. However, during the attack information about your forum may have been taken by the attacker. As a precaution, we recommend the following steps:

1. Be aware that the attacker may have downloaded people's email addresses, especially from larger forums. If you or your users notice an uptick in spam or phishing attempts, that may be the underlying cause. Make sure that your PunBB-Hosting account and email address do not share the same password.
2. Although passwords are stored in the database using a one-way hash, which makes them difficult for an attacker to recover, we encourage you to change your password and advise all of your users to do the same. If you used your PunBB-Hosting password on any other website, be sure to change it there as well.
3. Check your forums for accounts with Administrator access that shouldn't be there. If you find such an account, please delete it and report it in the Support forums (http://www.punbb-hosting.com/forums/support/) or send me an email directly (smartys@punbb-hosting.com).

I understand that a breach like this can be frustrating and frightening. I apologize for the inconvenience that this incident will cause you and your members. If you have any questions, concerns, or comments, please let me know by replying to this email. My email address is smartys@punbb-hosting.com.

Once again, please accept my sincerest apologies,

Owner, PunBB-Hosting.com

If you have any questions, please feel free to post them here or send them to me privately.

Edit: Just to be 100% clear, this is not some sort of April Fools prank, despite the unfortunate timing. There was a security breach that has now been resolved.

2011-04-01 01:41:36

#2 2011-04-01 02:10:49

Re: Important Announcement from PunBB-Hosting

CRAP! there go's my master password. well, guess im on to another 20 alphanumeric password.... i hate having to re-remember things

permission to curse out whoever hacked the site?

#3 2011-04-02 02:56:54

Re: Important Announcement from PunBB-Hosting

HOLY S***!!!

This really sucks o.o

Board footer