The official support forum for all things related to PunBB-Hosting
You are not logged in.
I just thought I would post to let anyone who cares know what my plans are for PunBB-Hosting in the future.
Right now, PunBB-Hosting is very stable. The code works, there don't seem to be any bugs, etc. However, there is a demand for some new features. In the past, I've answered these requests by saying "we'll wait until 1.3 comes out and then evaluate new features." However, 1.3 is essentially not in a usable form for this site and will probably never get to that level.
In its place, I developed FluxBB 1.4 for the FluxBB team. It is an evolution of the current code and thus is more suitable to be used here. Once it has been fully tested and released officially (no timelime on that), I will start working to adapt it to PunBB-Hosting.
Some of the new features people can look forward to:
- Multiple moderator groups
- The ability to split/merge topics
- DST support (both profile and board-wide)
- Allow a default email setting for new registrations
- More per-group controls in place (sending email, last_post on online table for guests)
- Search flooding permission work
- Better unread topic tracking
- Note the ban creator for bans
- The ability to more easily replace your board title at the top of the page with a banner
- The ability to more easily upload a new style
- A limited amount of image hosting (for smileys, a banner, etc).
I hope everyone can find something they like in this (partial) feature list. Enjoy!
Except this wouldn't be general image hosting, it would be uploads allowed specifically for use in a forum for things like the style, smilies, etc
A little bit of an update:
- 1.4 is now in beta. Once the betas are complete, I can start working on adapting the software to PunBB-Hosting.
- I've been working on a new version of the PunBB-Hosting website as a part of these changes. The design/layout will be slightly different than the current site and it will have some new features (including a separate control panel for forum owners, providing a sort of "root admin" level that people have been clamoring for). As a result, I anticipate giving forum owners even more control over their site (including the ability to restore from backups on their own). This change will also allow me to provide some premium options for forum owners (such as removing ads, using their own domain name, etc). In the next few days, I'll post some screenshots of the parts I've done so far (nothing ground-breaking, mostly just a new design for parts of the site that already exist).
I suggest the ability to not set other users to the root admin level, it that wasn't already going to happen. Because I've seen people post before on places "first 2 ppl to join get 2 b admins", and since they won't know who they're giving that status to, that puts their forum at risk of chaos.
Yeah. "Root admin" is not going to be another level in the forum. The person who creates the board will be given separate login details for the control panel and that will serve as the "root admin." Entirely separate from the normal forum hierarchy (and without the ability to create another control panel account, at least to start with).
No. As I just said, the concept of "root admin" exists outside of the forum hierarchy. All administrators will still remain equal. However, the person who creates the board will be given login details to a separate control panel which allows them to do some administrative things (eg: restore from backups, make people administrators/demote others, etc).